Martin Dwyer may have to wait until June before he finds out whether the 56-day suspension he was given in India will be applied. His appeal (25 March - Dwyer to fight India's 56 day ban) took place on Monday.
We’ve followed events since the jockey finished in third place on the favourite, Ice Age, at Mumbai’s Mahalaxmi track on 17 February. Punters became very angry, the horse was declared a non-runner so that losing bets could be refunded, and Dwyer’s riding was referred to the Royal West Indian Turf Club.
Dwyer flew over to Mumbai for the appeal, and on his return to England yesterday, where he was riding at Kempton, sounded quite optimistic about his chances of overturning the ban. He said, “What was important was the appeal board agreed for the reason for my appeal which was that I didn’t get a fair hearing. I said it was pre-judged and I had a lot more evidence that I provided which wasn’t heard at the original enquiry, and now I expect to be exonerated.”
Dwyer said after the race that his horse appeared to have broken a blood vessel and had been bleeding from the nose, but this information was not taken into account.
Confirming that Dwyer could continue to ply his trade until a new hearing takes place, Paul Struthers, chief executive of the Professional Jockeys’ Association said on Twitter, “The RWITC Appeal Board hearing has concluded and they have referred the matter back to the stewards for a further detailed inquiry on the grounds of unnatural justice and fair play. I am told this may take some time but that Martin will be free to ride in the meantime.”
Dwyer himself said, “No date has been set for the new hearing. It could be in the middle of June, but at least I’m free to keep riding here.”