Saturday's Pick was...
2.45 Doncaster : Shady McCoy @ 5/1 BOG 3rd at 6/1 (Held up towards rear, headway over 2f out, every chance inside final furlong, kept on same pace final furlong)
Monday's pick runs in the...
Before I post the daily selection, just a quick reminder of how I operate the service. Generally, I'll identify and share the selection in the evening before the following day's race and I then add a detailed write-up later on that night/next morning.
Those happy to take the early price on trust can do so, whilst some might prefer to wait for my reasoning. As I fit the early service in around my family life, I can't give an exact timing on the posts, so I suggest you follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook for instant notifications of a published pick.
Midnight Target @ 3/1 BOG
...in an 8-runner, Class 3 Mares Handicap Chase for 4yo+ over 2m5f on Good ground worth £9747 to the winner...
This 8 yr old mare's most recent form is both impressive and consistent with finishes of 22F22141 in her last eight outings, with the final three (141) being her record in handicap chases, concluding in a win LTO (albeit 207 days ago) in a Listed contest over 2m4.5f at Cheltenham, so if she's ready to go, a double drop in class could help today.
Regular jockey Lee Edwards is in the saddle once again and will be hoping to improve this mare's record which already includes of relevance today...
- 3 wins and 2 places from 9 at trips beyond 2.5 miles
- 2 wins and a place from 7 in a hood
- 2 wins and a place from 7 with a tongue tie
- 2 wins and a place from 4 at odds of 4/1 and shorter
- 2 wins from 4 on good ground
She's by Midnight Legend and regular/long-standing readers will know of my fondness for backing offspring of this particular (but sadly now departed) stallion, not because of sentiment however, but because there are a myriad of profitable angles associated with him. Today's flagged Midnight Legend micro is another of those that looks more complicated in print than it really is, but here goes...
...UK / NH / 3m1f or shorter / Good ground or softer / Class 2-4 / September to March / 5 to 8 yr olds / 3 weeks to 8 months off track...
...which might seem a fairly narrow category, but today's pick will be the 800th qualifier since the start of 2013 and with 142 winners (17.8% SR) and 260.5pts (+32.6% ROI) profit in that time, it's a handy one to keep an eye on. With respect to today's contest, those 799 runners are...
- 99/540 (18.3%) for 218.4pts (+40.4%) in handicaps
- 48/283 (17%) for 71.7pts (+25.4%) over fences
- 41/241 (17%) for 59.4pts (+29.7%) in handicap chases
- 55/237 (23.2%) for 188.9pts (+79.7%) at Class 3
- 42/212 (19.8%) for 117.9pts (+55.6%) on Good ground
- 45/207 (21.7%) for 126pts (+60.9%) in females-only races
- 32/191 (16.8%) for 72.2pts (+37.8%) after a break of 3 to 8 months
- 33/139 (23.7%) for 29.2pts (+21%) from LTO winners
- 24/119 (20.2%) for 73.4pts (+61.7%) as 8 yr olds
- and 11/67 (16.4%) for 45.2pts (+67.4%) over the 2m5f trip
...whilst, from the above, for a smaller number of bets per year : Class 3 handicap chasers are 22/101 (21.8%) for 50.75pts (+50.25% ROI) with those sent off at 5/2 to 5/1 winning 13 of 28 (34.2%) for 21.2pts (+55.8%)...
Don't forget, we offer a full interactive racecard service every day!
REMINDER: THERE IS NO STAT OF THE DAY ON SUNDAYS
P.S. all P/L returns quoted in the stats above are to Betfair SP, as I NEVER bet to ISP and neither should you. I always use BOG bookies for SotD, wherever possible, but I use BFSP for the stats as it is the nearest approximation I can give, so I actually expect to beat the returns I use to support my picks. If that's unclear, please ask!