Thursday's pick was...
1.10 Leicester : Wenceslaus @ 7/2 BOG non-runner (Meeting abandoned : waterlogged track)
Friday's pick runs in the...
Before I post the daily selection, just a quick reminder of how I operate the service. Generally, I'll identify and share the selection in the evening before the following day's race and I then add a detailed write-up later on that night/next morning.
Those happy to take the early price on trust can do so, whilst some might prefer to wait for my reasoning. As I fit the early service in around my family life, I can't give an exact timing on the posts, so I suggest you follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook for instant notifications of a published pick.
Instant Replay @ 10/3 BOG
...in a 7-runner, Class 3, Handicap Chase for 5yo+ over 2m3½f on Soft (G to S in places) ground worth £7,018 to the winner...
Well, we like horse, jockey & trainer under today's conditions, so let's look at each!
The horse : This 8 yr old gelding actually won this race last year and loves coming here to tackle the fences, having won three times and placed on a further two occasions from just six efforts in handicap chases here, including...
- 3/5 (60%) for 4.15pts (+83%) on Soft/Gd to Soft
- 3/5 (60%) for 4.15pts (+83%) in fields of 5-9 runners
- 3/3 (100%) for 6.15pts (+205%) in Jan/Feb
- 2/5 (40%) for 0.71pts (+14.1%) under jockey Henry Brooke (more on him very shortly)
- 2/4 (50%) for 2.88pts (+72%) over this course and distance
- and 2/4 (50%) for 1.71pts (+42.6%) on Soft ground
The Jockey : Henry Brooke also has a great record here, winning 22 of 88 (25% SR) handicap chases at this venue over the last seven years, generating 59.9pts profit at an impressive 68% ROI, largely thanks to the following achieved under today's conditions...
- 22/81 (27.2%) for 66.9pts (+82.6%) on male runners
- 16/58 (27.6%) for 66.1pts (+114%) with 6-9 yr olds
- 8/30 (26.7%) for 6.39pts (+21.3%) over 2m3.5f to 2m4f
- 4/10 (40%) for 1.69pts (+16.9%) for trainer Brian Ellison (see below)
- and 4/7 (57.1%) for 13.14pts (+187.7%) in January
and the trainer : Brian Ellison, who for one reason or another doesn't send too many handicap chasers to Sedgefield, despite it only being a 60-mile journey from his yard in North Yorkshire. We can discount the travelling aspect for his lack of visits here and it certainly isn't because he can't get winners here either.
In the last four years, his Sedgefield handicap chase record at odds of Evens to 15/4 stands at 7 from 16 (43.75% SR) for 6.68pts (+41.8% ROI) profit. All 16 were male and include...
- 5/10 (50%) for 5.69pts (+56.9%) on Gd to Soft/Soft
- 4/6 (66.6%) for 5.37pts (+89.5%) in Jan/Feb
- 4/7 (57.1%) for 4.69pts (+66.9%) using Henry Brooke's services
- 3/5 (60%) for 6.21pts (+124.2%) over course and distance
- 3/7 (42.9%) for 3pts (+42.9%) at Class 3...
...and this 3-pronged approach suggests...a 1pt win bet on Instant Replay @ 10/3 BOG as was available from Bet365, SkyBet & Hills (but please check your BOG status first) at 8.10am on Friday and was still offered by Bet365 at 9.05am. To see what your preferred bookie is quoting...
Don't forget, we offer a full interactive racecard service every day!
REMINDER: THERE IS NO STAT OF THE DAY ON SUNDAYS
P.S. all P/L returns quoted in the stats above are to Betfair SP, as I NEVER bet to ISP and neither should you. I always use BOG bookies for SotD, wherever possible, but I use BFSP for the stats as it is the nearest approximation I can give, so I actually expect to beat the returns I use to support my picks. If that's unclear, please ask!