Tag Archive for: Prix Niel

Cualificar denies Bay City Roller in Niel thriller

Cualificar snatched victory from the jaws of defeat with a thrilling finishing flourish in the Qatar Prix Niel to deny George Scot’s Bay City Roller.

Andre Fabre’s French Derby runner-up slightly disappointed last time when only third in the Prix Guillaume d’Ornano and looked like having to settle for a minor role once again at ParisLongchamp as William Buick saw his passage halted by significant travel problems as the race began to unfold.

However, Buick held his nerve and once finding a gap and meeting clean air, flew home to deny Bay City Roller in the shadow of the winning post.

Paddy Power make the winner a 14-1 shot from 66s for the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe, with the master trainer confirming the October 5 showpiece as the target.

Fabre told Sky Sports Racing: “It’s an impressive win for sure, but this is just a prep race for the Arc and it was what I was hoping and expecting with the extra two furlongs and softer ground.

“I took this route with Trempolino a long time ago and he became quite heavy this summer so I thought he would need the extra race (at Deauville last month).”

On his Arc hand, which includes Prix Foy runner-up Sosie, Fabre added: “They are two serious horses.”

Buick was impressed with his mount and concurs with Fabre that he has improved for moving up in distance.

He added: “I was in that position from pretty much the get-go and I knew all the way through the race I was going to have to try and find an out at some stage.

“In these races the horses are often closely matched and you don’t often get the gap. I didn’t get any room down the inside so had to come back to come out and he still finished the way he did to win the race.

“It always takes a bit of doing and he’s a horse who is improving. I was impressed with him when I rode him in the Prix du Jockey Club and I think he’s only getting better. It was his first time going a mile and a half and he was very happy going the distance so you would have to be happy with what he did.”

George Scott was delighted with Bay City Roller and said: “I am obviously very pleased with how he ran. We have always believed in him, and we were disappointed at York, but he had his excuses that day and he showed his true level again today.

“A horse like him has his whole future ahead of him. I am delighted for Sheikh Nasser (owner). He has a very good horse here with great potential. Bay City Roller has a big future, so this is enjoyable and very exciting.

“I think he will have another race, so we’ll discuss it with Sheikh Nasser and see what he thinks. But yes, he will have another run, so we will see. We desperately need soft ground! Everywhere we go, it dries up! I promise you, he will be a much better horse with some ease in the ground, so we will wait.

“Today was a test over a mile and a half, and he showed he stays it without any problem. He was bred for it, he had won a Group Two over 1,400 metres (seven furlongs) at two, so he has speed and now he stays. He has a lot of quality, and I’m happy to train him.”

Merchant route could encompass York or France

The Sky Bet Great Voltigeur Stakes at York or a trip to France for the Prix Niel have been identified as the possible next step for the exciting Merchant.

Trained by William Haggas for the Highclere Thoroughbred Racing syndicate, all connected remain on cloud nine after the son of Teofilo followed up his Royal Ascot triumph in a wet and gloomy Gordon Stakes at Goodwood and he will attempt to carry on climbing the middle-distance ladder once recovering from his exertions on the Sussex Downs.

“We’re all so thrilled and everyone is absolutely delighted. It was the most extraordinary day’s racing and we were just relieved he managed to get his nostril in front,” said Highclere’s Harry Herbert.

“He’s having a well-deserved quiet week now and then William will decide, as he sees how the horse has come out of the race, whether we go to the Voltigeur (August 20) or a race like the Prix Niel (September 7) in France.”

The last four Gordon Stakes winners have gone on to contest the St Leger but connections of Merchant were coy on the idea of the Doncaster Classic in the immediate aftermath of his Goodwood triumph.

The colt’s name was a notable omission from the entries for the Town Moor showpiece earlier this week, with his team confirming their initial thought process of remaining at a maximum of a mile and a half for the time being.

Herbert explained: “We have been talking together for some time and sometimes these things are not quite explicable, other than your own gut feeling and that of the trainer as well, and going a mile and six at this time of his career didn’t appear to be in the best interest of the horse going forwards.

Jockey Tom Marquand celebrates after winning aboard Merchant
Jockey Tom Marquand celebrates after winning aboard Merchant (Andrew Matthews/PA)

“Rightly or wrongly we have made that decision and we’ll see how we get on when he steps up another grade next time.”

The St Leger may have been shelved, but Merchant’s Gordon Stakes triumph ignited dreams of a greater prize in the autumn, with the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe now firmly coming into sight.

Currently without an entry for Europe’s richest middle-distance prize, Merchant still has to convince all associated to stump up the €120,000 required to supplement, but a strong showing in his next outing could see the Highclere team embarking on a voyage to the French capital on October 5.

“When the entries closed for the Arc it would have been absolutely ridiculous as I think he was rated 82 at the time and it’s not something you can enter willy-nilly,” added Herbert.

Tom Marquand aboard Merchant shakes hands with Harry Herbert at Royal Ascot
Tom Marquand aboard Merchant shakes hands with Harry Herbert at Royal Ascot (John Walton/PA)

“But having said that, we think the Arc must not be dismissed and, as the fast-improving three-year-old he is, you never know. If it’s not right he won’t run, but if it is and he’s won a Voltigeur or a Prix Niel, then we would absolutely consider it.

“Every race now is exciting and when I looked at him, even in that appalling weather at Goodwood, as he was going round the parade ring before the Gordon, you could see a significant change since Ascot and I think there is significant progression to come.

“He’s in the most capable hands with William and his team and we will keep everything crossed. We’re looking forward to the next step wherever he goes and wherever William thinks is the best option having had that very hard race at Goodwood.”