Posts

Murphy back to double-figure lead over Buick in title battle

Oisin Murphy broke new ground with his first winner at Hamilton as he stretched his jockeys’ championship lead over William Buick to double figures.

While Murphy’s title rival had to serve a ban on Sunday, the dual champion made a rare trip to the Scottish course for five rides.

He was out of luck on the first two, as Ben Curtis instead rode a quickfire double, but then struck on all-the-way winner Trusty Scout in the Big Drew Hunter Memorial Selling Stakes – taking his tally to 134 this season, and into a lead of 10 over Buick.

Trusty Scout, also providing trainer David O’Meara with a double, dominated from the front on rain-softened ground to win at 16-5, by a length and three-quarters from Caballero.

Assessing his battle over the next month to outdo Buick and record his third successive title, Murphy told Racing TV: “It’s really hotting up, (and) he’s going to have a lot of ammunition coming up – with Charlie Appleby’s two-year-olds.

“So I’m going to have to work very hard, and stay out of the stewards’ room – and I hope the yards I’m riding for will keep flying.

“They’ve been having great seasons – from Andrew Balding, Ed Walker, Hughie Morrison, Saeed bin Suroor, loads of people have been helping me.

“So if we can finish off the next few weeks that would be brilliant.”

Murphy was again unplaced on his fourth mount Water Of Leith, and then had to settle for second at his final attempt with Mews House – behind easy winning favourite Albegone in the Members Of Hamilton Park Racecourse Handicap.

But reflecting on the previously unsuccessful Trusty Scout’s first career victory, he added: “It’s great to get on the scoresheet here.

“I’ve been here before and haven’t had a winner – so thanks to David O’Meara for putting me on one today.

“I actually missed a winner here, because my flight was delayed the last time I was here. But thankfully, we were on time today!”

Both Murphy and Buick are in action on Monday, at Leicester.

‘Early indications’ suggest injured cameramen expected to make full recovery

An upbeat bulletin has been issued by RaceTech on the two camera operators who were injured after falling from an elevated platform at Hamilton on Tuesday.

The incident occurred before racing started, with a Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman reporting the pair had fallen on to the roof of a vehicle at the track.

After a lengthy delay to racing while emergency services attended to the two men, the fixture was eventually called off around an hour and 20 minutes after the time scheduled for the first contest.

The pair are freelance cameramen for RaceTech, who provide broadcast services for racing, and the firm reports a positive outlook on their recoveries.

RaceTech tweeted: “We are pleased to report our two injured camera operators are receiving hospital treatment & early indications are that both are expected to make a full recovery. We will continue to update, thank you for all the good wishes.”

An investigation into the incident is under way.

Cameramen seriously injured in Hamilton incident

Two cameramen were taken to hospital after falling from an elevated platform before racing at Hamilton.

A delay to racing was initially announced while emergency services attended to the injured men, with the meeting eventually called off just after 3.35pm.

The cameraman were working for RaceTech, who provide broadcast services for racing, and an investigation is already underway.

A statement from the company read: “Following a serious incident prior to the first race at Hamilton Park involving a mobile elevated camera platform, two freelance camera operators, Robbie Cotgrave and Kit Campbell, have been seriously injured and taken to hospital.

“A full investigation is underway into the cause of the incident.

“Our thoughts and concerns are very much with our two colleagues at this time.”

Clerk of the course Harriet Graham said the well being of the cameramen soon became the priority over the need to stage the fixture.

She said: “About half an hour before the first race an incident happened involving RaceTech operators and a hoist.

“Our emergency teams reacted immediately and then we needed to call the fire service and ambulances, so we had fire engines on site and the police.

“It took them a long time to assess the situation and extract them and take them off to hospital. During this time the timeline became more and more extended.

“The decision was we would wait for CID to arrive to see if we could continue racing, but they indicated they wouldn’t be making a decision in the short term.

“So, we held a stewards’ inquiry and the decision was made to call off racing.

“Whilst that is a big decision, we felt we had no timeline for when we could start racing and the main thing is all our thoughts are with the two guys who have gone off to hospital for further assessment. Let’s hope they are OK.

“In the bigger picture racing is secondary in this situation. A nasty accident has happened, two people are injured. They are having the best care they could have and received immediate attention.”

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “We were alerted at 1.35pm on Tuesday, June 29 to an incident at Hamilton Park Racecourse, Hamilton.

“Operations Control mobilised two appliances to the scene and using an aerial rescue pump firefighters rescued two male casualties who had fallen onto the roof of a vehicle before handing them into the care of the Scottish Ambulance Service.

“Crews left the scene after ensuring the area was made safe and there were no further reported casualties.”

The Scottish Ambulance Service added: “We received a call at 13.38hrs this afternoon to attend an incident at Hamilton racecourse. Two ambulances and two rapid response vehicles were dispatched to the scene.”

A spokesperson for British Horseracing Authority said: “Everybody at the BHA is concerned by the reports from Hamilton this afternoon and our thoughts are with the two RaceTech employees who have been injured.

“We wish both a full and speedy recovery.”

Hamilton called off following incident before racing

Tuesday’s meeting at Hamilton was abandoned following an incident at the track.

The first race was scheduled for 2.15pm, with that time initially revised to 2.45pm before a further delay was announced as emergency services attended the incident.

Just after 3.35pm an announcement was made over the loudspeaker that racing had been abandoned.

Clerk of the course Harriet Graham confirmed the incident involved two RaceTech employees, who operate the cameras on site.

She said: “About half an hour before the first race an incident happened involving RaceTech operators and a hoist.

“Our emergency teams reacted immediately and then we needed to call the fire service and ambulances, so we had three fire engines on site and the police.

“It took them a long time to assess the situation and extract them and take them off to hospital. During this time the timeline became more and more extended.

“The decision was we would wait for CID to arrive to see if we could continue racing, but they indicated they wouldn’t be making a decision in the short term.

“So, we held a stewards’ inquiry and the decision was made to call off racing. Whilst that is a big decision, we felt we had no timeline for when we could start racing and the main thing is all our thoughts are with the two guys who have gone off to hospital for further assessment. Let’s hope they are OK.

“In the bigger picture racing is secondary in this situation. A nasty accident has happened, two people are injured. They are having the best care they could have and received immediate attention.”

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “We were alerted at 1.35pm on Tuesday, June 29 to an incident at Hamilton Park Racecourse, Hamilton.

“Operations Control mobilised two appliances to the scene and using an aerial rescue pump firefighters rescued two male casualties who had fallen onto the roof of a vehicle before handing them into the care of the Scottish Ambulance Service.

“Crews left the scene after ensuring the area was made safe and there were no further reported casualties.”

The Scottish Ambulance Service added: “We received a call at 13.38hrs this afternoon to attend an incident at Hamilton racecourse. Two ambulances and two rapid response vehicles were dispatched to the scene.”

A statement from the British Horseracing Authority read: “Everybody at the BHA is concerned by the reports from Hamilton this afternoon and our thoughts are with the two RaceTech employees who have been injured.

“We wish both a full and speedy recovery.”

Hamilton delayed due to on course incident

Racing at Hamilton has been delayed by more than an hour following an incident at the track.

The first race was scheduled for 2.15pm, with that time initially revised to 2.45pm as emergency services attended the incident.

However, the British Horseracing Authority stewards’ account tweeted: “Further delay due to incident on course. The first race will not take place at 2.45 as previously announced. Updates will follow.”

The incident is believed to involve a camera operator.

A tweet from RaceTech, who supply broadcast services for racing, read: “We are aware of the situation @HamiltonParkRC & awaiting further information as to the well being of our operators. A full investigation is already underway. Thank you for your concern & messages.”